Two years before her death, Maria Luigia Duchess of Parma, Piacenza and Guastalla reopened in Parma the Scuole Medico-Chirurgiche Veterinarie or Veterinary School, which was inaugurated on November 21, 1845 and is still in operation today, after its transformation first into the Istituto Superiore di Veterinaria, then into the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine of the University of Studies and finally into the Department of Medico-Veterinary Sciences.

Parma's veterinary teaching, for one hundred and eighty years, has always been closely connected to the University of Studies; equally ancient are the ties that unite it to ducal society first, national then, and worldwide to the present day. Always original have been the knowledge and skills that have developed in it.

Modified on